T-minus 6 hours until break!

I guess I am not the best blogger, sorry I never update.

So what's new? I would have to say a whole lot of nothing. I had beam time (a.k.a experiment time) at the end of October and it went pretty well says my boss, I am not sure if I completely feel the same way. But after that my motivation went to practically zero. I guess with the holidays getting closer, I didn't really feel like doing much of anything at work.

I did give my first Progress in Research presentation. It went pretty well, minus the fact that I couldn't get my computer to connect with the projector. I wasn't really that nervous, the talk went pretty well, I was able to answer most of the questions, and my talk was actually the correct length (I didn't talk too fast). One big mistake I made was calling the element Rf (Rutherfordium) Rutherford for a majority of the talk, only correcting myself at the very end. I swear these element names are killing me! Why are they so hard? And why are there so many?

Ray and I finally reclosed on our house. My parents are off the loan and we were able to get a loan with a lower interest rate and went with a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30 year. The coolest part of all this, is it happened on Ray's 25th birthday! Oh and that day I made a big change, I change my signature, now I include my middle initial. This is a pretty big change, now my signature in my opinion looks like a adult's signature and it forces me to pause between my first and last name.

Lastly I guess I might as well discuss my upcoming birthday. Most people who read this probably already know, my birthday is on Christmas. I would say for the most part it is not that bad. I will never have to work on my birthday and I will get to spend it with family. But I am starting to realize that there is a new negative to my birthday being on Christmas. It is about to start ruining Christmas, now every year Christmas will be associated with getting older. Which when I was little this was fine, but now when really I don't need to get any older than 25 it isn't really that great. I am going to have to turn 30 on Christmas! Which comes to I guess a more important topic, what is considered old?

Personally I am really enjoying being in my early 20 and being fresh out of college. I know grad school is still college, but it is not the same at all, it is more like a job. I am not really fresh out of college though, I have already been out for like 2 and half years! I also don't like how much my life is in limbo. I didn't think my life would be in limbo while owning a house and being married. But the fact is I will not being staying in Bryan/College Station my whole life, I will be moving. And where to is a big question. Also when are Ray and I supposed to start a family? I mean even if my life wasn't in limbo, I wouldn't want to have kids right now, I would probably wait at least 2-3 years if not more. But considering how things are right now, in 2-3 years I will be finishing my Phd. Then there is a possibility I will do a post-doc (2 years) and then a job would hopefully be next. I mean once I finally get a good job, I should wait at least a year or two before having kids. So it looks like I would be able to start a family for at least 5-8 years. I hope I can have my first kid around the time I turn 30, and OMG that is only 6 years away! So maybe I won't make that deadline.

And then the question of where this job would be still comes up. I really would like to stay in Texas, Austin in particularly. But there really isn't that many chemistry jobs, let alone NUCLEAR chemistry jobs in Austin. Sometimes I really wish I had consider some sort of engineering degree for undergrad, but if I actually had done chemical engineering I probably wouldn't have a job in Austin. So I guess staying in Austin is maybe not in my cards.

If you know me at all, you know I am a planner. So all these unplanned things really get to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment